Sunday, May 19, 2013

May Happenings


The school year is winding down and I am so happy.  I look forward every year to being able to have things run at a slower pace and where we can spend time together doing fun things and making fun memories.  You always know when school winds down because there are a bunch of activities to attend to all at once.  At the beginning of May the boys had their field day.  They moved it inside because of the weather.  Usually we have to worry about rain, but this time when had a cold snap come through and it was rather chilly with a strong north wind.  It was a little different navigating through the halls with all the classes and grade levels participating in different activities.  My plan was to watch Spencer in the morning and Anthony in the afternoon, but I ended up staying with Spencer to help his teacher with getting 20 Kindergartners to the different stations throughout the school and not get lost or trampled by the older kids.  It was nice that after Spencer was done doing his activity, Anthony's class came for their turn, so I was able to see a little of Anthony too.  Most of the games were geared towards the little kids so there were parts that Anthony was a little less than thrilled to do, but he did them with a smile.  Madeline was a trooper and followed me around for the day cheering her brothers on.  There were some of the volunteers that still remembered Madeline and so they were kind enough to make accommodations for her to be able to participate in some of the activities so she was excited about that.


After field day was the big anticipated Kindergarten field trip to the zoo.  Grant was able to tweak his schedule so that he could be there for Spencer's special and important day.  I was able to go along with Madeline so it was a family affair.  They split up the kids with the parents and as individual groups you tour the zoo and eat lunch at your own leisure.  They give us a time and location to return and with that you are off on your own to explore and learn.  I like that we are not in a big group trying to all stay together and keep track of the kids.  There were enough parents going that each group had one or two kids in addition to your own child.  We are only had one additional kid and he ended up getting sick that morning so for us it was a family zoo trip, which was kind of nice.  It ended up raining so it was fun going through the zoo in the rain, but luckily it didn't really down pour until the end.


At school Anthony is apart of the Student Council.  Throughout the year they participate in different service projects and fundraisers to support different things at school and charities that they are raising money for.  Because of their hard work they were the recipients of the National Student Council School of Excellence Award.

Of course you can't have May without Spencer's birthday, but I will do that in a post of its own.  Lets just say it is hard to believe that my youngest is six years old.


Lastly, Mother's day this year was fun.  The kids enjoyed spoiling me for the weekend and I was reminded of the blessing and joy it is to be their mother.  I was able to celebrate Mother's Day by playing the organ in church and giving a talk, both went well.  We did most of our celebrating on Saturday.  The kids went out shopping at an office supply store because I had reward rebate money that I needed to use up and then Grant took me to Khols where I had some Kohl's cash that I needed to use. Afterwards they took me out to dinner.  I wanted to have a new skirt for when I gave my talk and so everyone was nice enough to allow me to find a skirt.  Afterwards we went out for a nice yogurt treat.  Sunday I was able to take my usual nap, have a nice dinner, and be able to open some nice presents.  The kids were so excited to present me with their cards and gifts and I really enjoyed seeing the smiles on their face.  Spencer made a card at school with flowers.  The object was for me to pull a flower out and listed was a chore that Spencer was going to do for me.  Spencer was very certain that the chores listed on the flowers were for me to do and not for him, so that was funny!  Being a mother is a gift and a joy and a calling that I am honored that Heavenly Father has given me the opportunity to be.

1 comment:

Richard and Katie said...

My goodness, Spencer looks just like you! Yes I've always know it, but geez, this picture really shows it!!