Sunday, July 7, 2013

May and June Happenings


1.  After Grant and I coming home from one of our dates we were greeted with some friends enjoying some cupcakes and treats.  I love to see Madeline's imagination and play come out!


2.  On Saturday, May 25th, we had the opportunity as a family to volunteer and help out with Special Olympics.  We were in charge of handing out some of the awards to the contestants as they finished their meets.  Anthony was able to use the microphone to call out the contestants and what award they got.  He did an amazing job!  Spencer and Madeline would take turns putting the ribbons around the contestants necks.  After about three hours of working Spencer decided he was done, but his timing could use some improvement.  While he was handing out awards, he decided he was done and simply walked off without finishing the rest of the ribbons.  Luckily we were there to assist him and we were able to pick up where he left off.  After that we decided that it was time to hand over our assignments to the others that were in the group and leave before Spencer really let everyone know that he was done.  It was such a neat experience for our family and we are looking forward to working some more with Special Olympics.  The best was being able to work together as a family helping and serving others.  It was neat to see our kids excitement and to hear them cheer on the different contestants.  Our kids were truly excited for those who were participating and that is rewarding to see as a mother.


3.  This year I didn't plan much for Father's Day, I decided to let the kids do the planning.  A few days before Father's Day I took the kids out and let them pick their gifts out.  Before we left I mentioned some things that Daddy has said he wanted and luckily they were all on board.  We also decided to make Daddy and new number one Daddy hat and his current one was getting dirty and smelly.  At the same time we made some hats for Grant's parents for their birthday.  It was fun to watch the kids decorate and learn the fine art of handling the paint.  It is safe to say their were a few blobs, but overall they did a great job.  The last time we did this Spencer was a little baby and so I painted for him, so I wasn't sure how things would go with him painting on the hats.  Spencer did awesome and was so proud of his dots that he littered the hats with.  On Father's Day I made Grant some bbq ribs, homemade cheesy rice, and I am sure other goodness.  Then the rest of the day was spent playing games, going for walks, and enjoying another epic nerf gun battle.  I don't think I could plan a better myself, the kids did a really good job.


4.  In the evenings when we gather for family scripture study the kids have a tendency to crowd around the I-pad leaving Grant alone on the couch with the big family Book of Mormon opened.  The kids are not interested in reading from a book, an I-pad seems to be more interesting.  I guess it has to do something with touch screens and lights that draw the kids over to my side.  However, Grant's book does have colorful pictures but I guess they are no match for the I-pad.


5.  For the summer I made a summer reading bingo game for the kids to play.  I did this to make reading time a little more fun and exciting for them.  So far we have read a book in the treehouse, under a tree, in a fort, with a snack, on a picnic blanket, at the library, under the kitchen table, and with a hat on.  We play the reading bingo game a couple of times a week and they enjoy looking at their boards and picking a new and different place to read their books.


6.  The first weekend of June Grant and Anthony went over to the public library for a Star Wars day.  They had different activities and crafts set up which didn't interest Anthony.  Anthony did enjoy taking his picture with the storm troopers and watching his favorite episode (6) on the big screen at the library.

No comments: