Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Spring Break 2014

 
A tradition of ours is to go camping as a family for Spring Break.  This year for youth conference they were doing a reenactment of the pioneers trekking across the plains to Utah.  The trek was planned during Spring Break.  Grant and Jonathan went on the trek activity.  I knew the kids would still want to go camping and knowing the difficulty of trying to set up our 10 man tent with just Anthony and I; so I found a state park that had cabins. 

We went to Possum Kingdom State Park and we had a really nice set up with a nice view.  I was glad that it wasn't crowded with people.  I liked that we had plenty of space and didn't feel like people were on top of us.  It was nice to sit out on the back porch in the mornings and evenings and read and talk as a family and enjoy the view and the peace and quiet.

I happened to get sun burn the day before; so being outside was a bit miserable for me.  Thank goodness the weather was nice and I was able to keep a light jacket on to protect my burn.  I was glad for the cabins for when it was too miserable outside for my sunburn; during those times we would play games and watch Don Knott's movies ( I know we were roughing it!) 

The kids were able to ride their bikes, play at the park, go down by (the really low level) lake and throw rocks in the water, play games, throw the Frisbee, and go hiking.  Anthony also completed one of his requirements for the cooking merit badge which was extra nice for me because I didn't have to cook.

Our kids love to go camping and I am glad that Grant and I have made it a tradition for our family to go camping at least twice a year.  It is nice to do things together and not be distracted by less important stuff.  I really enjoyed my time with just the kids and I, but we did miss the rest of our family.  We will have to go back to Possum Kingdom State Park and bring Grant and Jonathan and enjoy another Cooper family fun campout.

No comments: