Monday, June 23, 2008

Madeline, A Mother's Perspective



In my life I have been blessed by people whom I consider to be angels. These people have come into my life at a time when I needed it and have enriched my life in their own unique way. Madeline is that angel. Who came into my life at the right time and has blessed and continues to bless my life in unique ways.


When Madeline was born she came with a few suprises. The first few weeks were overwhelming as I and her father were getting a crash corse in medicine. Going to the hospital everyday was even overwhelming. It was overwhelming in the sense of having to see your daughter surrounded by cords, machines monitoring various parts of her body, and the fact that after a few hours I would have to put my daughter down and leave her at the hospital for another day. However, each day as I went to the hospital to sit by her bedside or to hold her in my arms my battery was charged with Madeline's love and once again I had the courage to leave the hospital and start over again the next day. The time Madeline was in the hospital at birth as well as the nurmerous hospital stays during her first year of life taught me many important life lessons:


1. I could not control what was happening to Madeline. As her mother I wanted to fix everything and when I couldn't fix it I wanted to jump in for her, but that wasn't meant to be. However, I learned there was something I could do. I could love her only as a mother can. The doctors have the expertise to heal Madeline physically but what they lacked is love-a mother's love. Finally there was something I could control. The doctors would do their part and I would do mine.


2. Every month for her first year we would find ourselves in the hospital for respiratory distress. This became burdensome and at times overwhelming. I remember sitting in the hospital room thinking of ways I could fix this problem so we could avoid these trips to the hospital, even if it meant living in a bubble. However, I learned yet again there are things that I cannot fix. This time I was taught from my favorite scripture, "Be Still and Know that I am God." Here I was fighting Heavenly Father trying to find ways to solve the solution I was in, when my only job was to sit back and be still. It was when I sat back and chose to be still a miracle happened my burden was lifted and in its place I found strength. We still took our monthly trips to the hospital but this time it was okay.


3. My final lesson I would like to mentioned came in a place you wouldn't think-The ER. We had just spent an hour of holding Madeline down for the nurses to stick Madeline for an IV and blood work. Well after that hour all that was achieved was the IV. Madeline at the time was a baby and it was so frustrating to watch your child go through so much pain. After the nurses were done I immediately picked her up to comfort her. As I was sitting there she looked up at me and smiled. I remember thinking how can you smile you just went though an hour of pain. Well the answer came. "You too can smile after every storm." Know matter our trials in life, we too can smile."


Now fast forward a few years and my angel is now four. She has overcome many trials with spunk and tenacity. She takes each day and lives it! Her trials and limitations do not get in her way. To me she embodies courage, strength, and determination. She still teaches me from "Mommy I can do it" to Heavenly Father will help me be brave. I am glad that Heavenly Father blessed me with this angel who indeed came into my life at the right time and my life will forever be riched by it.

6 comments:

Daniel said...

Sandra,

You should write an article for the Ensign. Your blog made me cry twice!

Daniel said...

Sandra,

That last comment was from Amy, not Daniel. :)

Ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com said...

She's beautiful! :) She looks so grown up! Can't believe she is already 4! Wow!

Wendy said...

Very touching. Madeleine's pics are beautiful!

Sue said...

It is amazing that we as parents get the job of caring for these amazing spirits. I remember when Emma was small realizing that she needed to be held as much as we needed to hold her. Like you describe, Madeline gives so much in return. So funny that we convince ourselves we are blessing them when it is often both ways or the other way around. Hope this made sense. Anyway, I loved reading your story.

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

Sandra,

Great pictures of Madeline! They are great. I love her outfit too!!!