
On September 8th, we had to say farewell to a pivotal person in Madeline's health and well being. Madeline's cardiologist, Dr. Lashus, was moving on to greater and better things. We received news of this move in early July and I have to admit that I cried a bit. Dr. Lashus is the kind of doctor where Madeline isn't a number or another patient, but a real person. Dr. Lashus was the kind of doctor that knew Madeline would want to live a full life and he did whatever it took to have Madeline's heart allow her to live the full life she desired.
I first encountered Dr. Lashus when Madeline was first born and in NICU. It was his turn to do rotations to all the heart kids in the hospital. I was impressed with his people skills and with how he explained such a complicated organ in the most simplistic terms. I kept his name in the back of my mind as I knew I would need to pick a cardiologist.
Madeline spent the first year of her life in the hospital for respiratory distress and each time he would come and visit Madeline and check on her, even though he was not the cardiologist in charged. Whenever, Madeline would have her surgeries he would make it a point to come and visit everyday and check on her. I remember once specific trip to the hospital where he dropped by to check on his Madeline. While answering all my questions, Dr. Lashus had a flash light in the shape of a pen that Madeline was fascinated by. He seeing Madeline's fascination proceed to take the flashlight out of his pocket and give it to Madeline. Madeline, who was feeling ill whose body was working hard to breath, lit up with excitement over a special present from a very special cardiologist.
At every clinic visit, Dr. Lashus would learn of Madeline's arrival and would seek her out and say hello, he was always excited to see Madeline and Madeline was excited to see him. Dr. Lashus had a way of making clinic visits seem not too scary for a little girl who has been through so much and has endured lots of pain.
In the early days of Madeline and being overwhelmed by the fact that I was a care taker of a little girl whose heart was not whole and complete; Dr. Lashus was there to answer any questions, calm any fears, and give me confidence I needed to undergo such undertaking.
It isn't everyday that you come across a doctor with such love and compassion for not only his patient but the family as well. It isn't everyday where you come across a doctor where your daughter isn't a number or another patient to cross off for the day, but a person with a unique and special heart different from all other patients. It isn't everyday where you find a doctor that addresses all your concerns and takes the time to answers your questions even if it takes awhile and even if he has to repeat himself.
We are so blessed to have such a wonderful medical team for Madeline. Madeline eight doctors are great and together with their magic and knowledge Madeline is living a very full life. Though we are sad to see Dr. Lashus go, we know he is going to do great things and touch many more peoples lives.
On a side note: One thing nice about cardiologist at the Children's Hospital is that the cardiologist work closely as a team, and so our new cardiologist (Dr. Schutte) is already familiar with Madeline and her heart history. Plus for the first time in Madeline's earthly existence Madeline will now have a female doctor.
1 comment:
Wow. That is so neat and sad and sweet! Dr. Lashus seems amazing. What a great anchor it seems he's been for you and Madeline. I wish he hadn't moved! Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment