
I can laugh now, but a few weeks ago there was NO laughing going on. Spencer sure keeps me on my toes and constantly looking over my shoulder, and this time was no exception. So without further delay here is the story on the death of the microwave.
Saturday, October 16, Grant's birthday started out as any ordinary Saturday full of lots of hard work and fun. BYU was in town that day and Grant was going to the game with his cousin to watch BYU get stomped on by TCU. Because Grant was going to be out enjoying the game, we celebrated his birthday on Friday. With the kids safely entertained and busily playing I thought it would be a good time to get the house cleaned and picked up, so when Grant returned home he would have a sparkling clean home to come home to. This plan was working and little bit by little bit I was making progress on our house. Until Spencer decided to help. I was finishing the shower in the Master Bedroom when I heard my bedroom door shut. This usually means Spencer is up to know good and doesn't want you to hear or see what trouble he is getting into. This particular time, Spencer was in and out of the bathroom talking to me and "trying" to be of help so when I heard the door shut I thought he had come back to "help" me in the bathroom. However, after cleaning the shower there was no Spencer and there was no Spencer in the bedroom either. The hunt begins. I opened the door and get knocked over the head with smoke, what on earth is going on. Obviously the smoke is coming from the kitchen. I see lying on the stove the oven mitts and I think to myself did I forget to turn off the stove and now the oven mitts are on fire. No, the stove was turned off and the oven mitts were just fine. Then I see huge flames coming from the microwave and see that the paper towel that was left in there from cooking lunch was on fire. Well there was no time to get to the bottom of it and panicking was not an option. I grab a near by container and fill it with water and slowly open the microwave and douse it with water. With the fire out, I escorted the kids outside to enjoy some nice clean fresh air, while I air out the house. With everything and everyone taken care of I began to put the pieces together. You see, Spencer closed the door to my room while I was busily cleaning the shower so he could "use" the microwave. Left at the crime scene was a stool, the culprit that allowed Spencer to reach the microwave. Upon further investigation I found a piece of plastic pretend bread which was now completely black but not melted ( now that is good quality plastic). So my conclusion is this: Spencer, knowing that he is not suppose to play with the microwave, closed my bedroom door so as to not get caught, retrieved the nearby stool in the kitchen, climbed upon the stool to use the microwave to "cook" his piece of bread. Now the mystery is how long he tried to cook the bread, but one thing was for sure Spencer didn't stay around the crime scene very long. Lucky for him, putting the fire out and every ones safety was more important than putting a clever and curious three year old in time out. However, Spencer is not the first child to blow up the microwave because at the store there were lots of nice microwaves to chose from with a child lock button for the keys. He may put whatever he wants in the microwave but with my best friend "child lock" he won't be able to "cook" anymore bread.
Oh by the way, Grant found Spencer's latest stunt entertaining when he returned home from the game. I on the other didn't find it so entertaining. With Spencer being only three, I dread knowing what my future holds. Hopefully he is alive to send off on his mission and hopefully by then his fascination with fire will be past and I won't get a phone call from the mission president of Spencer blowing something up.
1 comment:
Oh wow! That would have been a shock. I bet you found out more about microwaves than you wanted to know. That is nice to know about child locks! The comment about the mission was funny...you know, baptism by fire and all!
Post a Comment