Monday, April 4, 2011

Spring Break Day One


Every year for Spring Break I try to do a theme for each day during Spring Break. The kids usually are excited for Spring Break to come around and find out what adventures they will be going on. For Spring Break 2011 our adventures were, architects, scavenger hunters, and then campers.

Day One: Architects.

To begin our adventure we talked about what architects do and how much we depend upon architects for our buildings, landscape, and infrastructures. After a brief lesson on what an architect is and does we became architects ourselves. I made some stencils using my cricuit cutter with various sizes of circles, triangles, rectangles, and squares. I then supplied the kids with some graph paper and rulers. The kids then began to design and draw a building using their rulers and stencils. After our drawings were complete, off to the Lego store where the kids could pick out what Lego bricks they needed to build what they designed. The real adventure came at the Lego store, I didn't know that everyone else in the metroplex would have the same idea I did. We managed to push and shove our way through and get the supplies we needed. We survived the food court and the hairpin drive home. The kids have fund quickly putting their creations together and then off to let their imaginations go wild.

I believe day one of Spring Break was a success.

No comments: