Sunday, August 12, 2012

Madeline's Baptism


Here it is August and I have yet to write about Madeline's baptism; things have been busy on the home front this Summer.

Madeline was baptized on her eighth birthday, just like she wanted.  In our stake they have Child of Record Baptism every Saturday before Fast Sunday.  Since Madeline has medical needs that need special attention she was able to get permission to have her own private baptism.

Madeline's baptism was one of those moments that will be seared into my memory forever; it was a moment where I was proud to be her mother.  Prior to her baptism we broke up the Fourth Article of Faith into four separate Family Home Evening lessons, we did this a month before her special day.  During this time we also talked to her about what she could expect to happen at her baptism and she even practiced with her Daddy a few times.  The one concern we had was if Madeline would allow water to touch her eyes.  Because Madeline cannot close her left eye, she doesn't like to get water in it, and to be baptized you have to be completely submerged in water.  As her parents we took this concern to the Lord and knew that because Madeline was making a righteous decision He would be able to help her and there wouldn't be any concerns.  Come baptism day, Madeline was a champ and the water was not a fear for her.  Because of her baptism Madeline is no longer fearful of water.  She now goes under water when swimming and she now prefers showers to baths; it is so amazing to see what the Lord can do when we turn our heart over to him.

One of the things that I did for Madeline's baptism was make her baptism gown.  I knew that there wouldn't be a jumper in the closet that would fit her.  I didn't choose just any white fabric to make her dress, I made her dress from my wedding dress.  My wedding dress was hanging in my closet safely wrapped up and it was just taking up space.  I knew I was no longer going to be able to fit it and with Madeline as tiny as she is I knew the likely hood of her being able to wear it one day was probably a slim chance.  I used everything from the buttons, lace, and material.  It was neat to be able to pass something so special to me to Madeline.  I have enough material leftover to make the boys their temple ceremonial packets.  My dress will no longer be tucked away, but will now be handed down to each of my children for them to treasure as well.

Back to the baptism:  Madeline was beaming on her special day, you could tell she knew she was making the right decision and she knew that her Heavenly Father was proud of her.  She was a breath of fresh air and a reminder to me of how simple, pure, and joyous the gospel is and the joy and excitement it can bring to your life.  Anthony gave the baptismal talk and he hit it on the nail and our Home Teacher gave the Holy Ghost talk and reminded us all who the Holy Ghost is and the important gift he is in our life.  When Madeline was baptized, me being the tough person that I am held back the tears.  It was a pure miracle to see our daughter baptized.  Eight years ago we didn't know if we would see this day; eight years ago we were overwhelmed with issues dealing with her heart and the steps it would require to give her a chance at life.   Now fast forward eight years later and she has overcome all those stumbling blocks with dignity and grace and with resounding faith in her Savior Jesus Christ.  Watching Madeline come out of the water, was like watching an angel emerge.  As her mother it was a pure gift and all the hard times that we have endured together were worth it in that moment.  In that moment I saw what I was fighting for.  The countless doctor appointments, therapy appointments, surgeries, hospital stays, and the hours of uncertainty, were all clear to me the moment she came out of the font.  Sometimes it is easy to get caught up in the day to day living that we sometimes forget what the eternal picture is; the goal that we are all striving for; the very reason we came here to earth.  After Madeline was baptized we had a brief testimony meeting and we were all given a gift to be able to hear Madeline bare her testimony.  Madeline loves to bare her testimony, and to hear her testimony of baptism, the love of our Savior, His Atonement, and the opportunity to return and live with Him; put everything into perspective.  My focus was sharpened and my resolve made stronger.  It was Madeline's testimony that I felt my Savior's love, I felt His arms wrap around me, and I heard him say I knew you could do it.  I knew you would take care of my special daughter.  Madeline is a gift that keeps on giving.  I am so glad that I listened to my Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ.  I am so glad I trusted in them the day she was born and I was overwhelmed with fear of having to take care of a special girl.  I am so glad for the lesson I learned early on that all I needed to do was love her and allow the doctors to do the rest.  It was this lesson where everything was put into perspective to me.  I didn't need to get wrapped up in all the medical issues, I just needed to love her; and loving her was something I could do.

Here is Madeline's own words about her Baptism Day:  "I felt special on my Baptism day.  My Mommy took out her wedding dress and made a dress for my baptism.  We went to the Stake Center and my favorite part of the program was Anthony's talk, my big brother.  And then I got baptized by water.  And my dad confirmed me a member of the Church after I was baptized.  After I was confirmed I felt the Holy Ghost.  When I felt the Holy Ghost I felt happy.  While Daddy was changing I shared my testimony.  And my testimony was about baptism."

1 comment:

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

Wow. What a perfect day! I love that you made her dress out of your wedding dress. What a keepsake and treasure. Madeline is amazing. You and Grant are amazing.