Saturday, March 9, 2013

Valentine's Day

Madeline was coming down with cold/respiratory illness, hence why she is not smiling.  She looks how she felt.

I have never been very big on Valentine's Day, but the kids enjoy it so I try to put some effort into it for them.  This year I decided to surprise Grant and actually get him a present.  He has mentioned a few times how he wanted to display his Boy Scout Eagle Award in a shadow box.  He wanted this for two reasons; it doesn't do any good locked up in a box and also to show Anthony want he accomplished and to help Anthony shoot for the same goal.  I decided for Valentine's Day I would do that for him.  He was very happy and surprised, surprised that I remembered and surprised that I actually gave him a gift.  Grant surprised me as well by giving me a gift.  He remembered me mentioning in passing how I like these certain water bottles so for Valentine's Day he bought me one and filled it with paper hearts.  I thought it was the perfect gift.

This year I decided to do a count down to Valentine's Day.  Every morning there would be a heart taped on each of the kid's door with what I love about them.  Some days I would include what I appreciate about them too.  When Valentine's Day came each child had 14 hearts on their door.  I really loved doing this because I was able to focus on them and their divine qualities.  Sometimes it is easy to get hanged up on the day to day grind that we tend to lose focus, but for 14 days my focus was clear and I saw them for the Children of God that they are.  Valentine's Day is long past and the hearts are still on the door, they just don't want to take them down.  I think I have started a new tradition, and it is a pretty good one too!

For our family activity I thought it would be fun to have a nice dinner with candle light.  The kids never have had dinner with candles so at first they thought it was strange, but quickly warmed up to the idea.  They mainly thought it was cool to eat in the dark.  For dessert I made red ice cream floats with red edible sugar sprinkled on top.  It was simple but everyone enjoyed it.  I have learned in recent years that great memories can be created even when you simplify things.  With me homeschooling Madeline I have had to learn to simplify and I have discovered that the kids get just as excited as when I killed myself to put on a production.

I knew the boys would be getting Valentine's from school and with Madeline being homeschool I didn't want her to feel left out.  I had Madeline make a Valentine sack and then I had the boys each make her a Valentine's Day card.  Both sets of Grandparents sent Valentine's Day cards as well so I saved those to include in her sack.  So when the boys came home with all their loot I was able to surprise Madeline with her very own loot as well.  When they were done with exploring all their loot from school, I surprised them with a gift from Mommy and Daddy.\

Even though I think Valentine's Day is a day for the card makers and florist to make lots of money, it is nice to stop remember those you love and to remember why.  Sometimes it is also nice to think outside of the box and give a gift truly from your heart.

No comments: