Wednesday, April 17, 2013
2013 Spring Break Campout
Every year for Spring Break we go camping. Recently we have picked where we go near tourist places. Anthony is a big history buff and loves to explore and learn about Texas History as well as the Civil War. This year we went to Lake Somerville State Park which is near Washington on the Brazos where there Texas Declaration of Independence was signed. We arrived at our camp ground on Wednesday afternoon. After we set camp up we did some hiking, exploring the camp grounds, and the kids rode their bikes around.
Thursday: This was our big field trip day. We went to go explore Washington on the Brazos. Anthony was in Heaven and for him it was like Christmas morning. We took a tour of a replica of Independence Hall. The original was burned down when the town of Washington, Texas was engulfed by fire. Near Independence Hall they have a little museum with different maps of how Texas came to be its own state as well as important figures in the shaping of Texas' Independence from Mexico. After our tour there we went to Star of the Republic Museum. The museum had various exhibits on what life was like back in the 1800s as well as what life was like for those who traveled by boat. They did have a little hands on exhibit depicting life back in the 1800s. You were able to pretend you making butter, quilting, as well as playing the various games that kids enjoyed back then. By this time the kids were hungry and so we found a nice place to picnic. When we were going to get out we were visited with Mother Nature in the form of Texas size spring winds. Knowing how difficult it would be for Spencer and Madeline to manage their food with it being windy we opted to eat in our car. By doing it this way, it ensured that Grant and I would be able to eat as well. Our last stop for the day was the Barrington Living Farm. The Barrington Farm is where Anson Jones lived who was the last president of the Republic of Texas. The farm was a living and working farm and everything was hands on. The kids were able to experience farm life in the 1800s and they were also able to see how the homes were decorated. This was a self guided tour which are the kinds we like; you know Spencer is not much for talking. There were workers there dressed up in period clothing available to answer questions. It was like going to Nauvoo. We were able to see a meat cellar and see the process of drying out and curing the meat. Spencer and Madeline enjoyed this part of our field trip the best, they haven't caught the history bug like Anthony.
We got back to the camp site close to dinner time and we were all pretty exhausted. We all slept good that day.
Friday:
Early that morning Grant took off with the boys to the lake to go canoeing and fishing. Spencer didn't want to go, you know he has to be difficult, but we made him go anyway. Madeline does not like how the boat rocks so she usually stays behind. We spent the morning biking and then afterwards I took her for a little hike down to the water. We were able to throw rocks in the water and look at all the birds and other wildlife there. I called Grant to see where they were and with a little description I was able to pinpoint them out in the distance. I showed Madeline and she said lets go hike over there. From where we were it didn't look that far to her. I didn't want to crush her enthusiasm and so I agreed. Grant was shocked but I told him that if need be we would just turn back. Madeline was definitely gun hoe about going and enjoyed it. I on the other hand was nervous. We reached a point where we were blazing our own trail and it was at this point that I told Madeline there is no turning back we will have to finish this little hike. I had to carry Madeline for a bit because the grass and plants were taller than her and you couldn't see her and she couldn't see where to go. After a bit we did make it to the other side of the lake and found the boys. Grant was definitely surprised and I was too! Madeline thought it was awesome and you could see she was proud of herself.
The kids really enjoyed riding their bikes around. We learned on this trip that Madeline is not able to see on her left side so if someone passes her on the left there is a good chance that she won't see them. Madeline also can't hear the noises around her with the noise of wheels hitting the pavement. This made us nervous with her riding on the road. Again we didn't want to crush her dreams or her desires to ride like her brothers and so Grant and I took turns running along side her to protect and to warn her of things around her. This opened our eyes to a lot of things and we are brainstorming ways that we can allow her to be more independent when riding a bike.
Grant and Anthony went on a little hike together. Anthony wanted to explore a trail on his bike. Grant didn't bring his bike so Grant ended up running just to keep up with Anthony, but the report was they did have a good time exploring. Grant and I were happy to see Anthony wanting go exploring especially on his bike, he isn't one to be adventurous.
That night we played glow in the dark bowling. The kids thought that was a lot of fun! We did the usual smores, movie night in the tent and playing games. Grant and I took a little walk down to the lake, but we had to go through a maze of fishing poles. I have never seen so many fishing poles staked to the ground. It made it hard to walk along the sand, but it was still nice to get away.
Overall our camping trip was fun, we were sure sad to see Spring Break come to an end. I can't wait for Summer break, it is nice when I can control the schedule and when things slow down a bit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment