Sunday, August 18, 2013

End to our Summer Fun

Well the beginning of a new school year is fast approaching which means another wonderful summer is coming to an end.  I am always excited for summer to begin and sad when it ends.  Summer never lasts long enough.  We managed to check everything off of our Summer list.  I love spending time with the kids and I enjoy all the activities we get to enjoy together as a family. 


It has become a Cooper family tradition to have Ice Cream Week during the Summer.  What came out of desperation for something to do a few years ago has now turned into a family tradition that the kids get excited about.  For a whole week, we visit a different Ice Cream place and enjoy a cool yummy treat.  There is nothing like Ice Cream when it is really hot outside, and you can guarantee that it will be hot in Texas during the Summer.


Ice Cream also was the same week that we went on a mini vacation.  This year we decided to hit Corpus Christi and take the kids to the beach.  The last time the kids went to the beach was when Spencer was a month old and that was six years ago.  We rented a condo on the beach, but we learned that it is a lot windier in Corpus than Florida.  The wind was a bit of a challenge to get use to and made playing at the beach a bit tricky.  Our first stop in Corpus was touring the USS Lexington.  The kids earlier in the month toured Battleship Texas and the Lexington was similar.  We all enjoyed going up on the deck and looking at all the vintage airplanes that they had there.  We really liked the Cobra Helicopter.  Grant was able to tell the kids a little bit about the Cobra since he has had a part in its redesign.  He was able to point out what part he designed.  Because of security the kids are not able to go and visit their father's work and so they haven't seen what he does.  With the Cobra there they were able to learn a little bit about what he does everyday.  It was definitely hot on the Lexington and so the kids were grateful to go over to the Aquarium where at least part was in air conditioned.  I don't know how the soldiers braved the heat on the Lexington during the hot Summer months.


Highlights from the Aquarium would be the dolphin shows, feeding the sting rays, watching the sea turtles, and the bird show.  We spent about five hours there, watching the shows and seeing all the exhibits.  By the time we finished touring the USS Lexington and the Aquarium, Spencer's feet no longer worked.  However they seemed to perk up afterwards for a little playtime on the beach.


We went to Corpus during my birthday, in fact that was the main reason we went to Corpus was to celebrate my birthday.  Every year we go camping for Grant's birthday and so Grant thought it would be fun to do a family vacation trip during my birthday-sounds like a great idea to me!  After playing tourist and chilling out at the condo, we headed to a recommended place for dinner called Pier 99.  First they set us outside to eat, which would have been nice, but the wind was horrible and there was no way our kids would endure, so we asked to be moved inside.  Before we left for dinner, Anthony challenged me to eat seafood.  If I ate seafood then he would eat seafood as well.  I couldn't back out of this challenge because Anthony is a picky eater and not a huge fan of seafood.  Well I am not a fan of seafood either and I was surrounded by restaurants that only serve seafood.  I couldn't let my son down and so I ate seafood for dinner and I have to say it was pretty good.  I have never heard of Amber Jack fish, but it was delicious.  I am still not converted to seafood, but maybe every once-in-awhile I might give it a try.  The best part of the dinner was the brownie mountain afterwards.  You can never go wrong with brownies, chocolate, and ice cream-that was a wonderful birthday treat.


The next day we dedicated the day to playing at the beach.  We drove over to Padre Island and played on the beach there.  By the time we got there it was pretty late in the day and the crowds had already filled in, but we managed to find a spot and were able to set up shop.  The boys enjoyed the boogie boards and Madeline enjoyed playing in the sands.  The winds were not as strong on Padre Island so playing in the beach was a bit more doable.  We were able to fly kites, build sand castles, ride the waves, and just have lots of fun.  The kids really enjoyed themselves and the car ride back to the condo was a quiet one.  This was our last day in Corpus the next day (Sunday) we were off for a long long drive home.  The long drive was compounded even more because of construction.  There were times we took the access road because it was faster than the freeway.  This gave me plenty of time to read and I was able to nearly finish both books that Grant's mom gave me for my birthday.  When I wasn't reading, Grant and I were able to talk so I guess the construction mess wasn't so bad after all.


Our Summer bucket list ended with a  trip to Six Flags and to watch the most anticipated movie of the year, Planes!  During the school year the boys earned free six flags tickets for reading 600 minutes.  This was a difficult task for Spencer as reading is not something he enjoys, but he stuck with it and earned his reward.  Anthony is like me and reading is an enjoyment for him and he had his minutes read in a few days.  Since Grant gets discount tickets to Six Flags from work we decided to make it a family affair.  We were able to pick out a few rides for Madeline to enjoy, but the majority of the stuff there is not Madeline friendly.  I was worried that she would be bored and sadden by the fact that she can't do all the stuff that her brothers can; but to contrary.  She enjoyed her self and had a blast on all the rides that she rode.  She did not see what I saw, which is a lesson I often learn over and over.  She only saw what she could do and not what she couldn't do, an example for us all.


A few days after Six Flags it was time to go see Planes.  I think Spencer was the most excited of us all.  With Daddy's discounts from work we were able to see the movie in 3D, this excited Spencer the most because he knew he would get glasses.  Spencer glasses from previous movies were broke and according to him, he was in desperate need of glasses and thanks to the generosity of his family he was able to receive four extra pairs.  We went on opening day and the theatre was pretty much empty which surprised me.  I guess everyone went before dinner.  I was happy that it wasn't crowded.  The kids enjoyed the movie and there was enough jokes for the adults for it to be enjoyable for us as well.  It didn't take long for the planes toy wish list for Christmas to start.  I think I know what will be under the tree for one little eager boy!  Planes was our final Summer activity, it was a fun activity to end on.  Now here is to a quick school year so that we can enjoy another fun Summer.

No comments: