Sunday, August 18, 2013
August Happenings
Anthony had his second Court of Honor on Wednesday, August 14. He was able to earn two rank advancements, Tenderfoot and Second Class as well as two merit badges-Citizenship of Nations and Citizenship of the World. He would have earned his Engineering Badge, but his father's (also his merit badge counselor) work schedule got in the way and they were not able to finish. However, Anthony will finish before school starts. Anthony is one campout away from becoming First Class. His campout will be in the middle of September and with that he will be a First Class Scout. This is pretty exciting since he is not even 12. I hope the momentum continues and his love for scouts never dies. During the Court of Honor the Scoutmaster asked if anyone knew how Boy Scouts started. There were lots of blank looks and some incomplete answers, and then my boy raises his hand and in a very detail manor gave historical background needed to how Boy Scouts came to be in the United States. There were many proud adults in that room, but not more prouder than his mother and father. Anthony loves history and he loves facts and details so it didn't surprise me that he knew.
The next day, was Madeline's day. After three years of not having a back extension it was time. I dread these surgeries and I look forward to the day when we can fuse her back bone and be done. Her heart is fixed as good as it is going to get and once the back is finished Madeline can be rid of surgeries-how I long for that day. I haven't been there at the hospital when Madeline goes back for her surgery and I was reminded why, my heart can't take it; but this time it was best for Grant and I to be there at the same time. To watch Madeline's courage is simply breath taking and powerful. She was calm as a cucumber and knew that everything would be okay. Prior to her going back I snuggled with her in bed and started singing I am a Child of God (her request) and while I was singing she leaned in and said "Tell Daddy I love him." I was holding everything in until that point. The surgery went well and Grant and I busy ourselves by discussing Spencer's music theme bedroom. In no time Madeline was done and we were by her side. Madeline was quit upset after surgery (I would be too if my back was cut open) and the only thing that calmed her down was singing, and Grant and I took turns singing all the church songs that we could remember. Not only was this a blessing to her, it was a blessing to me as well. Madeline was able to get settled down and back to sleep and Mommy and Daddy slept as well. I stayed up at the hospital with Madeline and the time we had together I will always enjoy. It was fun to watch movies, sing songs, and cuddle with her. To see her bravery really takes your breath away, and if she can handle these surgeries with such dignity I can handle whatever is thrown my way. After one night in the hospital, Madeline came home and coming home is the best part. Madeline did ask how many more back surgeries she has to have, and I couldn't answer. However, my heart was wishing this would be the last one, but I know it won't. For now we focus on today and we don't worry about tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment