Even though things were still crazy with adjusting to our new life, I knew it was important to have our tradition of counting down Christmas with daily activities. Having a high school schedule to deal with sure made things hard and difficult, but somehow we managed and though things weren't as organized as I would have wanted we managed to countdown Christmas and I think the kids had fun.
I was able to take pictures of some of our countdown. The kids really enjoy the daily activities that we do as we countdown till Christmas.
1. Attended Anthony's Winter Band Concert
2. Watched Charlie Brown Christmas
3. Made Gingerbread Houses
4. Made and decorated Sugar Cookies (this was done with 7 kids and one parent...brave/crazy)
5. Decorated the Christmas Tree
6. Raked leaves
7. Watched First Presidency Devotional
8. Played Pay Day board game
9. Went to an open German Market
We did a lot more, but these are all that I managed to get pictures of. I really like how these activities bring us closer as a family and help us remember and keep the focus of what Christmas is all about.
Now that it is March I don't remember much about Christmas. We were in the middle of a room build in our garage for my brother (he was tired of sleeping on the couch and living out of a closet). I know the day was simple and relaxing which is nice when you have been busy on building a room. My family came over later in the day for Christmas dinner, our traditional wreath making for my step dad's grave, and the exchanging of gifts. It was nice to make a Christmas dinner and it was nice to sit around and spend time with family.
We pretty much spent the whole Christmas break working on my brothers' room. We knew that we needed to get it done or it would be a struggle to get it done when everyone returned to work and school. Things were a bit crazy and there were lots of late nights, but it gone done and it was nice to be able to have my brother settled in a space that he could call his own.
Anthony got a BB gun for Christmas and it was fun to take it out in the backyard and shoot our gingerbread houses. Grant made a little shooting range so the bullets had a safe place to land. Anthony also got a battleship target practice game so we had some fun playing battleship BB gun style.
Anthony was able to go on his first Temple trip to do Baptisms for the Dead, it was neat that Grand and I were able to join him.
We also went on a little day trip and took the kids on a little day trip to the Texas Freshwater Fishery Center in Athens, Texas. It was neat to learn the process of hatching the fish that they use to keep the Texas Rivers stocked with fish. They had a small little outdoor and indoor museum, a tram tour of the fishery, and we were able to watch a diver feed the fish in an aquarium that they had. They also provide all the supplies you need to fish in their stocked ponds. However, once again we came out empty handed. I don't know if the kids really enjoyed fishing, they probably would have if they actually caught some. We sure tried, but I guess the fish were all full. Even though they say the ponds are well stocked we managed to avoid catching any fish, there were people around us that were having lots of luck. It was nice to get out and to do something besides room construction, and it was also nice to enjoy some good ole' outdoor fun.
And to round out the month of December we celebrated the new year quietly at home. I bought some hats and noise makers and we watch the local ball drop and cheered Happy New Year ate some brownies and sparkly apple juice, and then the kids went to bed. Grant was able to say Happy New Year before his cold set in. He went off to bed and that left me waiting for Jonathan to come home from the youth dance. I watched a lot of decorating and cooking shows and was so happy when he walked through the door.
Now that is our December report in the month of March, better late then never.



No comments:
Post a Comment