Grant's Birthday:
Grant turned 42 in October, so now he likes to say that he is now the answer to everything (that is in reference to some book that I don't remember the title of ). I would have to agree that so some he is the answer to everything despite his age. Every year we go camping as a family for Grant's birthday, but things didn't work out this year. This left me stumped as to what to do. I knew Grant would be happy with a cake and we sing Happy Birthday, but I wanted to do more. I decided on a marshmallow war. I gathered different sizes of marshmallows and different colors too. Filled a Ziploc bag for everyone, including Grant. While Grant was at work, the kids and I turned the house into a battlefield and scoped out our hiding places. I taped a warning note on the door and included his bag of ammo. A few minutes before Grant was to get home from work we all went to our hiding places and waiting for our "suspect" to arrive so our battle could commence. I have done this before with nerf guns, but thought marshmallows would be fun too. The battle was fun and everyone enjoyed "pelting" each other with marshmallows, but I learned a few things. They get stepped on and carried on shoes from room to room which means they get in the carpet and that turns into me having to get the stickiness out of the carpet. I also had lots of sticky spots on our wood floors and those sticky spots seemed to grow as people carried them around by way of shoes and feet. I also was finding marshmallows in all sorts of places around the house for weeks. Luckily over time they harden so we weren't plagued by stickiness. The kids had fun and so did Grant, but I think if we do the marshmallow battle again we will keep it outside. After our battle we had presents and cake or in our case cream cheese brownies. One of the presents that Grant received was the game Clue, so we ended the night with a round of clue.
Halloween:
To be honest Halloween is not my favorite holiday, I am perfectly content to do nothing and just treat it as a normal day. However, the kids still enjoy dressing up. I am secretly hoping that Anthony will soon out grow this desire so then I am only left with two kids to dress up. I let the kids pick what they want and their costumes usually reflect their current interests. It is my job to make the costume come to life with the help of Goodwill and a little crafting. Anthony chose a Civil War solider as this reflects his love of anything and everything to do with the Civil War. Spencer chose to be a ten tiger from the Jackie Chen movie Around the World in 80 days. Spencer loves right now all things ninja. Madeline who loves monkeys chose to be a sock monkey (that one was a hard one to put together). This year my sister and mom joined us for part of the festivities. This year we did our ward's trunk or treat get together and afterwards joined our friends' going around their very candy giving neighborhood. After our bags our stuffed we go to another ward member's house for a s'mores. The kids come home pile all their candy together and sort through the ones they want to keep and the ones that will go towards our ginger bread house at Christmas time. After a week or so the kids start to forget about the Halloween candy and the candy just magically disappears.


No comments:
Post a Comment