Spencer is an active boy and loves to be moving, so sitting in sacrament meeting is not his idea of fun. We don't really have toys for him that would be church appropriate. Spencer prefers the toys that move light up and other fun actions. So for a few weeks ago as soon as we would enter the chapel he would start to protest because he knew where he was and what would be going on. Grant and I started to take turns sitting out in the foyer with Spencer. Thinking about this I knew that Spencer needed to be in the chapel with us as a family and perhaps with the right toys we could enjoy part of sacrament meeting together as a family. I decided about a quiet book and looking around realized that those babies are expensive and then I had a crazy thought, I will just make one. And so for one whole week the kids' enjoyed their total freedom and I became good friends with my sewing machine. I looked at other church related quiet books on line to get ideas and that put on my creativity cap and went to work. I went to the fabric store and bought whatever I thought would be fun in a quiet book. I was totally entering unknown territory for me, but in the end it was fun, I got to know my sewing machine better, figured out how to thread my surger, and produced a somewhat useful quiet book which Spencer through on the floor when he saw it. So we are still working on sitting through sacrament meeting. Only if the quiet book lit up and had action to it, but then it wouldn't be called a quiet book.



My favorite page is the family tree. It really neat to look at his tree with pics of his family members. It is almost overwhelming. I could have kept going at least two more generations but ran out of room. To do the titles of the book I used this
paper, I found it at the craft store but you can make it
yourself.
The book was fun to make. There are eight pages total and then I made a cover with handles and velcro to close it. Hopefully Spencer will appreciate the value of the book and enjoy it, until then there is always hope and the other two kids will enjoy the book for him.
2 comments:
Sandra, that's so cool! you're very talented, what a neat book for him to have, he'll cherish it when he's older i'm sure! hope you are all well :)
Neat Quiet Book, Sandra, and I like the crayon holders too. What is Madeline going to the hospital for? When will it happen?
Take care.
AUNT LOIS
Post a Comment