Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Spencer is Five


I cannot believe I have a five year old. I don't know why I had it in my head that Spencer was three, but I did. I think it is because he went to preschool and that is what three year olds do. Anyway I am happy to say that I now realize that he is five and am excited to not only move on from baby stage, but toddler stage as well. Spencer was in a Special Ed preschool program, mainly because at three the light bulb hadn't gone off. Well a few weeks ago they tested him again to see his progress from when he entered the program at three to now. Spencer tested at average to above average and he also met all of his goals for speech and no longer needed speech services. This was all exciting for us, and since he met all goals and expectations he graduated from the program. This meant that Spencer's last day of school was the end of April. So Spencer is ready for Kindergarten, I just don't know if Kindergarten is ready for Spencer.

Spencer is starting to understand birthdays and so it is fun to see his excitement for when his birthday rolls around. A few years ago I decided that friend birthday parties seemed like a lot of work and expense and didn't seem all that necessary, so now we celebrate as a family and the kids have just as much fun.

Spencer spent his morning taking his sister to therapy and then Daddy was able join us for lunch at McDonalds and then surprised us by taking the rest of the day off. While Madeline had school with her home bound teacher, Daddy and Spencer had fun in the backyard. For dinner we headed over to a local pizza buffet and then after dinner we went home for some birthday cake and chocolate milk. This year Spencer picked out a Cars 2 birthday cake. In fact a few days before his birthday I took him down to the party decoration store and let him pick out all his supplies; I think he thought he was pretty big stuff.  He loved having everyone sing Happy Birthday to him and he really loved getting hyped up on sugar. After cake it was present time or more like kids watch a movie while Mom and Dad exercise patience in putting together the toys, cause you know a boxed filled with lots of pieces divided up in lots of bags is no fun. We decided this year to get Spencer Knex Mario Kart tracks where he could build his tracks and race his Mario Kart cars. I think it was a nice idea, but when it came time for us to piece these all together, our idea was not so hot. It felt like Christmas morning. Grant an I did managed to piece everything together and it actually worked afterwards and the kids had fun racing the karts and trying to trip each other up with swinging mushrooms and jumps in the track. Grant and I decided not take the track apart, I guess we figured we would never get it back together. Spencer enjoyed getting cards in the mail, a call from Grandma and Grandpa, and a surprised visit from Aunt Katie with his favorite Cars 2 balloons and some yummy and fun candy. I think Spencer's day was truly a magical day and I am sure he felt loved on his special day. I always find great joy in celebrating my children's special day.

No comments: