Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Feeding Therapy


I have never heard of feeding therapy until Madeline, but then again I haven't heard of a lot of things until I had Madeline. Due to circumstances beyond our control Madeline has developed some eating fears that have stopped Madeline from eating like she should. These fears were starting to get in the way of her eating and she was losing weight and not gaining. Madeline is already tiny for her age which means she is the last person that needs to lose weight. Madeline's tummy doctor put Madeline into feeding therapy, great we thought now there will be light at the end of the tunnel in regards to her lack of eating. I never realized how involved this feeding therapy is and how much time it would take. For about a week after starting I was completely overwhelmed and for a moment thought things were just fine with her fear of eating. However magic occurred and no I wasn't able to say the magic words and everything disappeared. We still have our therapy sessions three days a week, but the magic was my perspective. This perspective has been a huge testimony building experience for me.

I have gained a perspective of the power of the atonement. When all this hit I immediately got on my knees and poured my heart out to my Savior. Through these daily and constant outpourings to the Lord, I was reminded of the power and love of our Savior and his atonement. I began to see that my schedule didn't change and at times the demands increased but my heart was at peace and life had a sense of ease about it. I realized all this one night during my evenings prayers. As I was reviewing my day with the Lord, I realized that I did everything and that it was easy. I wasn't stressed or frazzled, I was relaxed. I was told "I cannot change things and I cannot take them away, but I already took upon myself the burdens that you feel and if you let me have them I will make things seem easy to you." I am so grateful for the atonement and more importantly I am so grateful that through the atonement I can have true and real joy no matter what life throws at me.

Some people say that I am a super woman, but I have to disagree. However I can tell you who I am. I am a mom who finds strength in the atonement, and who knows that through the atonement I can do all things. I am a mom who knows that she is a Daughter of God, and who is loved unconditionally by our Heavenly Father. I am a mom who knows that my children are still His children and that I am a partner with him. I am a mom who has an eternal perspective who knows that this life is not the end, but just the beginning. I am a mom who knows and understands that every trial and every obstacle is an opportunity for me to learn and grow. For the knowledge and growth that I gain in this life is what I need to return back to His presence. I am a mom who knows this and much more. I am not a super woman, I am a mom who knows and understands who she is and her relationship with her Heavenly Father.

So I will gladly take our three day a week therapy schedule because I know that through the power of prayer and the hope of the atonement I won't find a burden, but I will see, find, and feel joy!

No comments: