Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mother's Day


Mother's Day is a difficult day for me not because I don't love being a mother, but I don't like attention on me. I have never been one that likes to be in the spot light. I would rather do what I love to do with the reward being the joy I feel in my heart as I go about serving my family. If it were up to me we would pass right over the day, but the kids do love celebrating and I do love to see their joy. I do love that in our family we spend the weekend together as a family doing fun things as a family. For record keeping purposes this is how the weekend went down. As a family we spent the day cleaning the house and getting little projects out of the way. It is always nice to have a clean house for the sabbath. After we worked hard together we went out to dinner and then we came home for some yummy ice cream. On Sunday I was blessed with the wonderful opportunity to sleep in. While I was sleeping Anthony enlisted the help of his dad in cutting out letters that spelled out Happy Mother's Day with cut out flowers. They put their beautiful arrangement on my chair in the living room. I am not one for breakfast in bed, but I did get to pick anything I wanted for breakfast and it was made to order. I was then presented with flowers from the garden and three lovely homemade cards. After dinner we enjoyed Family Home Evening singing songs and spending time as a family, and it was simply perfect.

What I love about being a mother is often times hard to put in words. There are the smiles, the giggles, the hugs, and the refrigerator worthy art work. There are the teaching moments, the laughing moments, the bonding moments, and the moments to share. However for me it is the moments of service, the service I am blessed to render to my children on a daily basis. Through this service I feel immense love and it is that I love that brings me the greatest joy and the greatest reward. I love how everyday I wake up to service and I go to bed filled with love, and no one can take that away from me.

1 comment:

Joni said...

Good morning! I am going to appoint myself as a guest writer for this post. This is Joni, Madelines' blessed homebound teacher. I have received such great JOY in serving this beautiful Godly family. Sandra has been such a blessing to watch a serving mother for the Lord. Her home is her JOY and I love going there. When Madeline and I met on this pass Wednesday she told me all about mother's day and how the children sang to thier mother's in church, how they got flowers and made cards. Madeline then said, 'she was queen on Sunday and mommy on Monday'!! What a blessing. It is wonderful to see God's design for the home as a witness to His plan and purpose. Sandra your 'motherhood' blesses me as well as your 'servanthood'.