Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Father's Day



Father's Day was fun this year, but when you have a daddy like Grant it is always fun.  Our original plan was to get Daddy a pocket knife since he lost his, but guess what showed up in the washer one day....a pocket knife.  Now Grant could always enjoy a knife, but when it comes to picking out a knife I am not an expert.  I am more of butter knife or plastic knife person.  I didn't think Grant would want to carry around a plastic knife so back to the drawing board.  I have seen at grocery stores candy bar arrangements, but the only problem I would have to shell out 50.00 dollars for one.  Now last time I checked candy bars were not that expensive so I am pretty sure they were making a good profit off of a simple thing that someone could make.  I decided that the kids were going to make Grant a candy bar arrangement.  Grant loves flavored dark chocolate so we splurged a little and we each picked out a different flavor candy bar.  I knew Grant needed another bucket for outside work that he does and that is a perfect container to place our yummy chocolates in.  Now the problem was I didn't have anything to attach the bars too or to put them in.  Now I didn't really want to pay money for sticks or shell out money for Styrofoam, so I came up with the next best thing.  Sticks and rocks from the backyard.  We begin putting together our flower arrangement and filled in the extra space with special notes for our Daddy.  Feeling satisfied with our work I started to take the present to our secret hiding place and discovered that the bucket was a lot on the heavy side.  I guess rocks do weigh a lot.  With Anthony's help we get the present (barely) to its hiding spot.  Now our next problem was getting out of the hiding spot on Father's Day.  I wasn't in the mood to try to carry the heavy bucket again.  Being the smart person that I am decided that we would give Daddy a treasure hunt through the house to his present and let him pick it up.  Anthony had fun writing simple clues and we all had a good laugh when Grant realized what is present was and how heavy it was.  Eventually the rocks and sticks returned to their natural habitat, the bucket is doing its job outside, and Grant has taken the chocolate out of the house where it is nice and safe for him to enjoy.  We are really blessed with the best Dad and Husband one could ask for and it is always nice to celebrate the reasons why we love him so!!

No comments: