Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Second Grade


I know it is July and I am now writing about the end of the school year. I think this year I was more excited about school being over than the kids, well Madeline was probably excited too. This year was hard, but we did learn a lot. For Madeline we learned how Heavenly Father can help us have courage and do hard things. Going to school for Madeline was hard. Often times it was too overwhelming and she would feel lost. She struggled to understand what was being taught. However, we worked together and we got though the year. Madeline finished out the year with home bound services for half of the day. It helped Madeline to go to school knowing that she only had to go half the day, for her that didn't seem so overwhelming. I know Madeline liked her teacher and I feel that her teacher did a good job within the confides that she had. However, in the end second grade was not a year I want to repeat or live again. Learning became a stress for Madeline and was no longer a joy. I felt like my voice was being heard on deaf ears and that despite how loud I spoke my daughter's needs were not being met. With all of this in mind we as her parents have decided to homeschool Madeline. This decision did not come easy and came after lots of prayer and reassurance from my Heavenly Father that this is something I could do. Heavenly Father put the right people in my path to answer all my fears and to give me the confidence that I needed to proceed forth with homeschooling. Madeline and I are excited for the next adventure in our life. Homeschooling will give Madeline the stress free schooling that she needs. A place where she can learn at her own pace and in her own way, a place where she can thrive, a place where she can find joy in learning. Hopefully this year I won't be counting down the days until summer on the first day of school.

No comments: