Sunday, September 22, 2013
Bake to School Feast
Prior to our Back to School Feast I got blank white shirts for Anthony, Madeline and Spencer. I also bought some fabric safe makers and sat down to have some fun creating our Summer memory t-shits. Before I let them lose on their shirts we talked about all the fun memories we were able to enjoy and the times we were able to spend together. I enjoyed listening to what they each remembered doing. They even remembered stuff that I had forgotten about. I also noticed that they remember the little things and not necessarily the grandiose stuff. After our discussion I let them use their markers to draw and or write whatever they remembered from their summer. This activity was a nice way to end our Summer and to begin a new school year. The kids enjoyed it a lot, I think we might have found another tradition.
For our annual Back to School Feast I chose the theme "Let Your Light Shine." I felt this was good for the kids to always be reminded of the power of a good example. I decided to decorate with lighthouses. We talked about what a lighthouse is and the benefits they have on sailors. We equated that to the gospel by talking about how we can be the lighthouses to others and help them navigate safely their way back home to our Heavenly Father. As always we had our special dinner and the kids were able to wear their 2013-2014 school crowns. I was sure Anthony wouldn't want to wear the crown, but he did. I told him that I would understand if he didn't want to, but he said he knew it was important to me so he would wear the crown; but after pictures the crown was in the trash. I was okay with that. After dinner was when I introduced the theme and had our FHE lesson on being a good example. After our FHE lesson we went right into Father's blessings. The spirit is always so thick during moments like these. I can't help but sit back and feel like I did something right as a mother. I might not always get it right, but I know Heavenly Father helps me to see clearly the moments that I do. I know He does this so I don't beat myself up too much. I gave each of the kids a lighthouse charm for them to put on their backpacks and a plaque that I made with the scripture Arise and Shine Forth as way to help them remember to always let your light shine. The kids always look forward to this little tradition of ours. Usually the week prior I spend sometime getting ready and when the kids see my preparation they know the count down begins and they get all excited. I hope their excitement never dies and that they are always excited about learning. As a side note: To help us implement our theme we discuss at the end of the day what we did to let our light shine. By knowing this discussion is coming, it helps you look for ways to let your light shine and to be a good example. I know this will not only help them at school, but this will be good at home as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment