Friday, February 1, 2008

A conversation with Madeline and with Anthony

Last night I was blessed to enjoy some private conversations with Anthony and with Madeline.

After family scritpure study and family prayer, I scooped Madeline up in my lap and explained to her that she was going to go to the doctor the next day to look at her back and for daddy to answer some questions. (Pre-Op for surgery). She then asked me as she always does, "no ouchies." I love it when I can say no ouchies, but my heart breaks when I can't. I told her I am sorry but you will have an ouchie (those darn blood work). She started to cry and inside I am crying also. I so wish I can step in for her, but I can't. She told me she didn't want to go, that she rather go to school. I explained to her if we say a prayer and asked Heavenly Father to help her be brave then He will answer her prayer. So with her in my lap, with her arms folded I said a prayer asking Heavenly Father to help Madeline be brave. After the prayer, she was a little more content. We talked about how much Heavenly Father loves Madeline and we also talked about how Heavenly Father hears our prayer and that he will answer Madeline's prayer by helping Madeline be brave. After that her tears stoped and she was content. She still knew she was going to get an ouchie, but in her three year old mind she knew everything was going to be okay because she said a prayer. I am so greatful for my knowledge of prayer and for the love of our Heavenly Father. I am not able to take Madeline's pain away, but through prayer our loving Heavenly Father can send His love which ease our fears and fill our hearts with peace. Today Madeline woke up and excitedly got ready to go to the doctor. You see, her and daddy are going to have a special picnic at the hospital as well as see the minature train village that they set up there too. Madeline picked out her special yellow blanket for her and her daddy to use and was so excited to use her lunch bag to put her lunch in. Yes she may get an ouchie today, but the silver linning in the whole thing is a picnic (time) with daddy.

My conversation with Anthony started as I was tucking him into bed. Before he lays down he says his personal prayer. To help teach prayer, we always discuss some things he could pray about. If we don't he will say the same thing he said at dinner or the night before. One of the things he wanted to pray for was for Madeline to be brave at her doctor's appointment. The next thing surprised me. He wanted to pray for President Hinckley to come back. This started a conversation about the resurrection. I reminded him that President Hinckley is going to come back. We talked about how Jesus was resurrected and because he was resurrected everyone who has died when Christ comes again will be resurrected. We just have to wait until the time comes. I did tell him if you want to pray for President Hinckley, you can pray for his family that they will be comforted. I told him, even though his family knows they will see President Hinckley again they are still said because they miss him. Anthony then asked a question what does comfort mean. In a split second, I thought well how do you explain comfort to a six year old. Thank goodness for the influence of the spirit. I didn't know how, but Heavenly Father did. This is what I felt prompted to say. When someone you love dies, you have a sad heart. When you pray for someone to be comforted you are asking Heavenly Father to help their sad heart become a happy heart. After our conversation he said his personal prayers, asked to help Madeline be brave, President Hinckley's family to be comforted, and then he ended it with bless that our house will not catch on fire. After his prayer he said "Mommy, I know how much you don't like fire, so I asked Heavenly Father to not let our house catch on fire." The love of a child. It was nice way to end a busy day.

I am so greatful for the opportunties the Lord gives me as a mother to teach my children his gospel and the Plan of Salvation.

No comments: