Sunday, February 10, 2008

Successful Surgery & Other Happenings

Madeline's surgery on Monday was a sucess. The only hiccup we had was the morning of surgery the wrong instruments were sent over and they had to rush deliever the right instruments from another hospital. This delayed the surgery a couple of hours enough time for Madeline to realize she was hungry and to start asking to eat. Luckily Grant was able to distract her until it was time for her to go back. Each time they give her medicine similar to laughing gas. One of these times we are going to remember our camera and take a video of Madeline. She is hilarious when the Madeline kicks in. She will be sitting contently and then all of a sudden bust out laughing for no reason. This time Grant was playing a game of got your nose and Madeline just thought that was the funniest thing ever. Grant asked Madeline to touch her nose, by this time the medicine had kicked in and so she was pretty much drunk and therefore had a hard time touching her nose. The surgery only lasted about an hour and half. I stayed home during the morning hours, got Anthony off to school, tidied up the house a bit, packed my bags, watched the news conference in regards to the new first presidency and then left for the hospital. It is so nerve racking driving there. I am not much for driving, and going to Dallas is like driving into New York City. I have never seen so many crazy drivers. I get to the hospital and breathed a sigh of relief. I load up Spencer in the stroller with all of my luggage and as soon as we step foot in the elevator he starts crying. I get him calmed down and then when we enter the hospital he starts cyring again. Once in the hospital there are a couple of elevators that we need to use and each time he freaks out crying. We learned that day, Spencer does not like elevators. Madeline spent the night in intensive care for precaution. When she woke up she immediately asked for Mac n Cheese. She had to wait until the next day before they would let her eat solids. I stayed with Madeline in the hospital until she went home. It was a nice quiet time together. We read books, watched cartoons, called daddy on the phone, went for walks, played with toys, and sang lots of songs. I mostly held her or laid with her in the bed. It made for long nights Madeline and I sleeping together in a recliner or trying to share a twin bed, but she was comfortable and that was all that mattered. When it came time to go home, Madeline was full of smiles. She missed her daddy and her brothers very much. I think mostly she missed her home. When we got home Grant and Anthony had given her a heart attack in her room (sprinkled hearts everywhere) as well as made her a welcome home banner. Anthony put together a treasured hunt game together for madeline too enjoy. However, he was so excited about the game that he pretty much did it for her and she enjoyed the treat. Madeline is back to normal, has been since day one, she occasionally has pain, and sleeping is hard for her. She gets uncomfortable and has a hard time getting into a comfortable position without waking up and having someone help her. She misses school and wants to go back and play with her friends. Thanks for everyone who said prayers on our behalf. Thanks mom and dad for the card, Madeline loved it. Madeline's class at school also sent her a get well card, she was thrilled to have something from her friends.





Madeline's surgery has been pretty much the big event for our family. Spencer decided to come down with a cold so it has been tricky helping Spencer get better and helping Madeline with her back. Luckily Grant was able to stay home all week, so the extra help was great. Spencer is nine months old today. He was 4 teeth so far and it looks like a couple more are coming. He is close to crawling, but for now he gets to where he needs to go by scooting in circles or using his walker. The weather has been great, and so we have spent lots of time outside enjoying the weather. Spener loves it outside. As soon as you sit him down on the grass, he starts attacking it. He loves playing in the grass, he would love to eat it too if Mommy and Daddy would let him.





Today at church I was given a new calling as 2nd counselor in the primary. The week before they had asked me to be secretary in primary. Well at church they didn't announce my new call so I thought maybe they changed their mind. I didn't think they would change it in the direction they did. I have been subbing as sunbeams teacher and have enjoyed every minute of it and I was thinking more along those lines, but the Lord saw something different. I have known for sometime that it was my time to go to primary, but I just needed to wait for the Lord's time. I was not shocked that it was a primary calling. I told the Bishop why so when they changed my calling to 2nd counselor and I told him that I was warmed up to the idea of being a gopher, he then told me well you were the one that said that Lord has told you it is time to go to primary. I then told him yes I said primary, there are lots of positions in primary. Anyway, I am still in shock and as Elder Utchdorf said joyfully overwhelmed. It will be fun! I love teaching the children!





Well we will leave you for another week, unless something comes up of worthiness to post. Enjoy the pics.













Madeline's card from her class at school.
She is holding up her thank you note that
I e-mailed to her teacher.











Madeline wanted me to take a picture
of her and I while laying in the bed
together. Pretty good!














Madeline talking on the phone
with daddy wearing the clown
nose that she got from a couple
of clowns that came by to visit her.
She wasn't too sure about the clowns,
I think she thought they were more
strange than funny.











Madeline talking to the phone the
evening of her surgery. This made
her night. The nurse went to great
lengths for her daddy to call, because
it was after hours.

Madeline enjoying a bowl of grapes,

in this picture she is trying to stick out her tongue.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

I'm glad the surgery went well. Give Madeline a hug from us.