Sunday, August 29, 2010

Cabin Camping

Anthony, Jonathan (my brother), Spencer, and Madeline the cabin camping troopers.

Grant had a business trip during the first week of August and I thought it would be fun for the kids and I to do something exciting while Dad was out of town. The kids love to stay at hotels because you can watch cartoons with their cable tv and swim in the pool; but to me it seemed a waste of money. While brainstorming with Grant, camping came up. The idea was shot down due to the heat, but then I thought we could cabin camp. I decided to go out of my comfort zone and do something that I normally wouldn't do without Grant and packed up the kids and off we went cabin camping. Grant was surprised that I would do such a thing and I have to admit that I was surprised too; but I new the kids would enjoy it. The day before we were due to check in, we packed up the family and drove to the site so I would have a feel of the location while I had Grant available to help me with directions. I am glad we did, the location was awkward to get too, and finding parking and the exact location of our cabin took us a bit to find. Overall we had fun camping and the kids stayed busy with the activities that we brought. However, we won't go back to that cabin. It was dirty, small, and didn't offer family activities on site. I am glad that we went, but we are still looking for the perfect cabin away from the city.

One night we made our own lanterns using soup cans, a nail, and hammer. The kids had fun making their own designs and then we lit tea light candles in them and read stories by candlelight.

Before it got too hot outside we whipped up some sidewalk chalk paint and had fun painting the front porch of our cabin. The kids enjoyed painting each plank a different color of the rainbow; our front porch was covered with different sizes and kinds of rainbows.

Another big project we did was mosaic. I thought it would be fun to teach the kids how to do mosaic and I thought it would be fun for them to take home with them a souvenir of our cabin camping experience. This project was perfect to do during the heat of the day as it took a few hours to complete. The kids enjoyed making up their own designs with the tile and gluing each piece in its perfect place. Afterwards they all took their picture in front of the cabin for them to place in their frame.

No comments: