Saturday, November 5, 2011

Anthony is Ten


Wow it is hard to believe that I have a ten year old, but I do. On November 4 we celebrated Anthony entering the double digits. The night before the big day I was reflecting on Anthony and the blessing he has been to our family and then it hit me; In two years he will receive the priesthood, in six years he will be driving, and in nine years he will be entering the mission field. I had to stop there because I have to admit that I got emotional. I will just enjoy him being ten and cross the other ages later. From time to time I think about what special mission the Lord has in store for Anthony. He is such an incredible kid with a strong testimony and a good grasp and understanding of the gospel. I just wonder from time to time who am I raising. I have said it before, Anthony is really an incredible kid who has a smile to kill and a positive attitude to boot. He excels at school and currently is doing well at leading his Battle of the Books team. He loves anything to do with numbers, in fact that is how he thinks and sees the world around him through numbers. Anthony loves church history and he is currently reading the Old Testament on his own. He has finished the five books of Moses reading every word and every chapter (that is something I haven't done). He wants to read all the books of scripture. Anthony still have a deep and abiding love for Star Wars and right now enjoys making up his own Star Wars battles and developing his own Star Wars character. Anthony still plays the piano and the music that comes from those fingers are amazing. Anthony fills our home with beautiful music. Anthony has many wonderful traits but the one that amazes me to no end is his complete obedience. No questions asked, no buts, no whys; just complete obedience. An example to me indeed. Anthony loves his sister and loves to find her at recess and play with her. Anthony truly cares about those around him, and wants to share his blessings with others. Anthony has a strong testimony of the gospel and I always feel the spirit when he bears it at Family Home Evening; especially when he talks about the Prophet Joseph Smith. It has been my privilege to be Anthony's mother a gift that keeps on giving every day. It is my prayer that I may continue to raise him in a way that will prepare and allow him to accomplish whatever great mission the Lord has in store for him; for Anthony will go places and accomplish much in his life. I treasure being his mom, and knowing that I will get to enjoy his smile for eternity.

Now on to the party fun. I am not a big friend party person but I am all for celebrating the day from sun up to sun down. Anthony got an extra bonus the weekend of his birthday. Anthony's good friend's parents were going out of town and needed us to watch him for the weekend. So Anthony had the ultimate sleepover! The morning of Anthony's birthday Anthony was treated to homemade cinnamon rolls ( a favorite of his). For lunch Daddy was able to join us for lunch at school and at the end of school Anthony was able to pass out his favorite treat (homemade cream cheese brownies) to his friends at school. After school there were balloons and a cookie cake waiting for him. After his friend came over the real fun began. I started out the fun with a page long math problem and once he solved the problem the number would lead him to page in a book. When he came to that page he found a clue. The clue lead him to the Target store where he received his next clue. This year I didn't buy presents and wrap them, I left them on the store shelves and instead gave him clues with him criss crossing the store finding his presents. He had to think carefully because whatever he guessed that is what he received. Luckily he guessed right. The employees even had fun with Anthony's adventure and got in on the fun. After his treasure hunt at Target it was off to pizza then after pizza it was cookie cake and ice cream time. The next day Anthony and his friend went off to Lego Land for a couple of hours of fun. I chose the opening time and Grant said that for most of the time they had the place to themselves which is nice because that place can be a mad house. I am pretty confident that Anthony enjoyed his day and felt like a king for the day. I love celebrating their special day and making fit their personalities.

No comments: