Sunday, January 29, 2012

Fun with a Cast


Madeline has been a trooper when it comes to her cast. It has been an adjustment living life with a full leg cast. With having the cast she lost a lot of her independence, but she has taken it in stride. Instead of sitting there feeling hopeless and depressed, Madeline has found ways to get around, dress herself, and take care of her basic needs. There are still some things that she needs our help, but with her patience and drive she has found ways to regain her independence. We are counting down the days when the cast can come off. Though she will get another cast, this one will be below the knee and she will be able to walk with the help of a walking boot. I am hoping the next cast will allow Madeline to sleep more comfortably. We have definitely been tested with this cast, but once again Madeline has shown us her resilience, courage, strength, determination, and her can do spirit. Not even a cast will get Madeline down. If Madeline could pick up her leg and carry on she would, but instead she takes her leg and drags it behind her as she crawls around the house enjoying day to day living. Madeline has even found a way to play at the park. She simply takes a trike and with her good foot pushes along up the ramps and around the play equipment; and with the help of daddy or Anthony can still go down slides and crawl through tunnels. Simply put a cast isn't going to stop Madeline from enjoying life. I know with this attitude Madeline will go far in life and she will have much to enjoy.

Now back to the purpose of this post. One night after family scripture study and prayer we decided to have fun with Madeline's cast. I got out the sharpie markers and we each took turns drawing and writing our names. I find it very significant out of everything that Madeline could draw she decided to draw her family. I feel that it was her way of saying that together with family we can get through anything. When we stick together and work together we will achieve success. I feel like she was saying that she knows that she has the love and support of her family and we will do what we can to make this period in her life a little easier to endure. There are days that my children teach me more than any profound book can, and it is these moments that I treasure and hold on to. I know that Heavenly Father makes these moments possible to show me that I am doing a good job and that as a mother I am on the right path-at times it is easy to forget.

It was a simple activity to do as a family and one that brought smiles to everyones face and I know brought us a little closer. Now wherever Madeline goes she can see a picture of her family and their names and know that we have her back (or leg) and no matter what we love her very much and she will always be our Madeline.

No comments: