Thursday, December 13, 2012

Anthony is 11


Anthony turned eleven on November 4.  I have a hard time believing that Anthony is eleven.  Being Anthony's mother has been a huge blessing.  Anthony made me a mother, and in these eleven years Anthony continues to teach me everyday and everyday I get to unwrap the gift and blessing it is to be his mother.  Anthony amazes me in lots of ways.  I am amazed by his smile and how his face lights up. I love to witness his enthusiasm for life and his positive outlook.  Anthony exudes excitement everyday and is a great example of being happy each and everyday.  Anthony is a good example of diligence, hard working, and fulfilling your responsibilities.  Anthony consistently does what is asked of him the first time with no questions asked.  I love to hear Anthony bare his testimony during Family Home Evening, to hear his knowledge of the scriptures, and to hear him expound to us his knowledge of the gospel.  I love looking over at Anthony during sacrament meeting and seeing him diligently reading his scriptures.  Anthony has a goal of reading all the standard works.  He has finished the Book of Mormon and is now reading the Old Testament.  I suggested that he start with the New Testament, but he was insistent on reading the Old Testament first.  When I told him I could give him the seminary schedule, he declined.  He wants to read the Old Testament word for word, page by page.  Now if that doesn't show diligence I don't know what does.  Anthony has discovered mystery books and boy does he power through them.  Thank goodness for libraries that provide lots of books for him to explore.  Anthony also has a deep love for history, he loves anything about the Civil War and this year has discovered the Revolutionary War.  He has a memory that cannot be matched and has a real knack for remembering dates and details about each war.  He loves to check out books from the library about the different wars and past U.S. Presidents and he reads them like novels.  Anthony is excelling on the piano and I enjoy when it is practice time as he fills our home with wonderful music.  Anthony has aspirations of playing the trumpet in middle school and I know that when he sets his heart on something he will achieve his goal.  Anthony is a great brother and great example, and overall a real blessing and joy to have.  I love how when you ask him how he is doing, he always responds with "great."  I know with that attitude he will go far and will be a blessing and joy to those he meets.  Sometimes as I quietly watch him in action, I wonder what the Lord has in store for him-I am sure it is something great.  I am continuously grateful that my Heavenly Father sent Anthony to our home and has entrusted me with taking care of him.  It isn't work taking care of Anthony, it is a joy and blessing one that I look forward to every minute of everyday.


Okay enough about Anthony, lets talk about how his eleventh birthday went down.  His birthday this year fell on a Sunday so his birthday activities were done on Saturday.  This year he chose to go camping with his Dad.  He just wanted it to be him and his dad.  They took the canoe with them and enjoyed paddling on the lake coming up with ways to conquer the bad guys.  After a successful mission it was off to enjoy an epic battle of Star Wars Risk.  Anthony was able to come out on top and not only beat Grant, but wipe him completely out.  They enjoyed packing all the treats and snacks they could fit.  On his actual birthday Anthony woke up to a decorated room with homemade cinnamon rolls waiting for him to devour.  After church we enjoyed Mac n Cheese (his favorite food) along with hamburgers and hot dogs.  It was such nice weather that we were able to take our dinner outside.  It was a lot of fun being outside as a family eating a simple dinner enjoying quality time together.  Later that evening my family came over for cake and ice cream and to witness Anthony fulfill his traditional scavenger hunt to find his presents.  I love that our kids get excited for our traditions that we have.  They know when birthday time rolls around there will always be a scavenger hunt for them to do as well as treats and fun from sun up to sun down.  I really try to go all out to celebrate their special day and to let them know how special they are.  There was a hiccup to his special day, I managed to spell his name wrong on his birthday cake.  I have never spelled his name wrong (it isn't like it is a complicated name), but after eleven years I managed to find a way to spell his name wrong.  We all got a laugh at it, but it didn't stop  us from eating the cake.  I would have to say my favorite part about his birthday was sitting on the couch together looking at all of his scrapbooks and remembering all the things he did as baby, toddler, and as a kid.  It was neat to share all of those memories with him and to see his excitement.  I know Anthony felt special on his day because you couldn't wipe the smile from off his face.  I cannot believe he will be twelve next year, but for now I will enjoy my simply terrific in every way eleven year old.

No comments: