
During one of snowed days we were able to celebrate Groundhog Day! Last year was our first year to celebrate the holiday so I was still looking for ideas that would work for the whole family. Because of all the snow I had plenty of time to research and gather ideas. This year I thought it would be fun to do games and activities that were about shadows. I found a website that had several hand shadow puppets with picture directions and then we did the old standby of drawing our profiles. The hand shadow puppets turned out really well and the kids enjoyed making animals with their hands and towards the end were making up the own things. We even had a monster shadow puppet attacking something (I can't remember what the other puppet was). After our shadow puppet fun we did our profile pictures and then had the kids color them in with crayons. The kids enjoyed this activity last year and they enjoyed it again this year. After all of our activities we enjoyed a little Groundhog Day treat which consisted of chocolate pudding covered with chocolate graham cracker crumbs and a picture of a groundhog coming out; so it would look like the groundhog is coming out of his hole in the ground.
Groundhog Day is a silly holiday, but it is fun to celebrate as a family. Just another excuse to get together and do something fun with family and create memories that will last a lifetime.
No comments:
Post a Comment