
This year for Valentines Day I let the kids be in charge with a little bit of guidance from me. Anthony and Madeline love to throw parties for the family, and a few weeks before Valentine's Day they asked if they you could have a toy and food party. There idea was to have some of every food that was either their favorite, or in Anthony's case, they liked. The toy part would include bringing all the toys out of their room and playing with them as a family. This is where I came in and gave them some much needed guidance. We narrowed the food choices down to heart shaped pizza, a few choices of fruit, some cheese,chips, and homemade heart shaped sugar cookies made by Anthony and Madeline. For the entertainment or "toy" part Madeline picked a Valentine Yahtzee game that I found online. I added my own touch to the party in the form of a treasure hunt for the kids. At the end of the treasure hunt was their Valentine present. Because each child is at a different level, each one had their own set of clues; and in order for Mom to be successful at capturing such fun they went one at a time. Since Spencer doesn't know how to read I just used pictures as his clues; Madeline's clues were written in a way that she could read them, and Anthony's clues were written to hopefully provide a bit of a challenge. Having the kids go on a treasure hunt is a little tradition that we have with Valentine's, Easter, Birthday and sometimes a couple of Christmas gifts too. The kids get excited on these holidays because they know there will be a treasure hunt. It is just a neat way to add a little bit of fun to the occasion.
The kids really enjoyed themselves and were excited to be able to participate in the planning and helping to set up for the party as well. For me as their Mom, it was neat to be able to foster and participate in their excitement. Overall our Valentine's Day party was a fun party and a great time with those that we love.
2 comments:
this is my first time to your blog.... just happened to come across it. First off let me tell you how cute your lil' fam is!!! Oh, and the treasure hunt.... LOVE it!!! What a fun family you have!
I love all the things you do with your family. I need to get more creative! My kids love treasure hunts too. We seem to do them during FHE. It would be fun to do something around Valentine's Day. That is a great idea. I am excited to see you all this summer!
Post a Comment