Thursday, September 8, 2011

Back to School Feast


Every year on the night before school we have a Back to School Feast. It is a night where the kids get the royal treatment. We make a nice dinner and we eat our dinner on our "fancy" china (we used regular dishes this year because "fancy" china is missing and we cannot remember where we put it). Each kid has their own crown because after all they are royalty. We enjoy a nice dinner where the kids are served by Mommy and Daddy. After our dinner I give a spiritual message and this year I chose I am a Child of God. I wanted to leave them with something that would help them with whatever challenges may come up during their school year. I felt that if each one had a testimony and a knowledge that they are Children of God then there wouldn't be an obstacle too hard for them to over come. After our spiritual message it was time for Father's blessings. This is always my favorite part of the night. The spirit is always strong before our Father's blessings and I feel that is calms the children and makes going back to school a time of excitement. Spencer this year felt that his blessing was overrated and was not interested in having one; maybe next year.

The kids are excited for school and it is hard to believe that I have a fourth grader, a second grader, and a child in his last year of Pre-K. The kids are excited to start off their new adventures and I cannot wait for Summer Vacation. Having my kids around me brings me lots of joy; but the time to myself during the school year is also a welcome treat. We just have so much fun together as a family that I cannot wait for the next adventures to begin.

1 comment:

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

I love that you do this every year. I need to copy that tradition! You've gone on lots of adventures this summer too! Again it was great seeing you all in Nauvoo and the books and directories are FABULOUS!!!