Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Longhorn Stampede


The kids no longer have catalog fundraising at school, which I am so happy about. Instead they do a run-a-thon. The kids can get donations for how many laps they run or just a flat donation altogether. The event is fun and the kids enjoy getting out and running. What I like is that they have other grade levels cheer on the runners; you just get a feel on school unity. Because of Madeline's heart condition she is not able to run without getting tired. Last year I carried her on my back, this year I was smart and used the jogging stroller. Though it was easier then carrying her on my back it still proved that I am out of shape. This year Grant was able to help and we tag teamed it because both of us is not in super great shape (we will have to do something about that for next year). I thought Madeline would want to run some and then sit in the stroller, but when you have your hat, sun glasses and your daddy's i-pod listening to music why would you want to get out of the stroller. For 30 minutes Grant and I ran along side the other second grade girls. Pushing a stroller on grass is not an easy task, but supporting a daughter makes it all worth it. At the end of the day we were surprised to learn that Madeline placed third in her class amongst the girls; the smile on her face was worth the 30 minutes of pushing a stroller in a grassy field. However, I am determined to get in shape so next year things will be a little easier.

After Madeline's race, it was Anthony's turn. Madeline was able to stay and cheer on her brother. I got several of the other kids in her class to cheer him on as he passed. Anthony brought his camel pack this which I think helped him to keep going. Anthony certainly is not amongst the fastest of the boys in his grade level, but when they were tiring out he just kept going. He never stopped to walk during their 30 minute time slot, he just kept going and going. He said he had one goal in mind and that was to do more laps this year than last year and he met his goal so he was happy.

No comments: