Sunday, March 4, 2012

Valentines


I am not a big Valentine's Day person, never have been. In some ways it just seems like a silly holiday to celebrate. The kids enjoy it though, I think that mainly comes from school. This year I decided I wanted to do something different to help the children where true loves comes from. We started out the week before Valentines with a service lesson. I found some words from our Prophet Thomas S. Monson on service which lead into a discussion on when we serve others we are serving our Heavenly Father. I then tied it in that it is through service that we show someone we really care and it is through service that we grow closer to each other. After our discussion, we all drew names to be secret service buddies. The challenge was to take the time and think what we could do for our service buddy and to perform our service by Valentine's Day. I loved the mood in our home as we went around secretly serving each other. There wasn't a focus on candy and frills but on the true gift of service. Madeline gave Spencer a heart attack in his room, which he was excited to see and enjoy. Spencer took the trash to the curb for Daddy. Anthony cleaned out the car for Mommy. Daddy sent Madeline a special love note in her lunch box. Mommy made Anthony his favorite sugar cookies complete with frosting and special messages.

That night we had are typical Valentines Day dinner of spaghetti. I decided to give the kids a treat and we did it by candle light. They couldn't get over the fact that we were eating in the dark. Next year we will stick to light. I made a fruit pizza which what tasty but only enjoyed by Grant and I. Kids weren't interested in a pizza made with fruit, sometimes I think my children are crazy. I did my usual clue puzzles that the kids had to solve to find their presents. This year the kids got puzzles of their favorite cartoon characters. Grant and I exchanged Valentines. We kept it simple. I got Grant some of his favorite candy bars and he gave me tulips as well as surprising me with gathering Madeline's morning medicine. Now that might not seem like much, but when your daughter takes 6 medicines in the morning not having to gather and measure them really made my morning a little easier.

Overall I think Valentines Day was a success, I like that we chose to focus it on service which helps us to focus on our Savior and those are eternal things that last forever.

No comments: