Sunday, March 22, 2009

My Sweet Princess

Today is the eve before Madeline's six month back surgery.  As I prepare my daughter for her surgery floods of emotion run through my mind and heart.  Know matter how routine this procedure is for us, it still pierces my heart strings.  As I hand over my daughter into the capable hands of the doctors, I also hand over my heart as well.  Instead of focusing on what is going on, I try to focus on just loving her.  I learned this while she was in NICU when she was born.  It can be very overwhelming with all the care that goes on for a child in the NICU and as a parent you feel completely helpless.  I would pleed with Heavenly Father what can I do, all I wanted was to hold Madeline in the comfort of our home, but that was not possible at the time. In a quiet voice I was told to just love her, love her only as a mother can.  From that point on that is what I did and that is what I focused on, just loving her.  I allowed the doctors to do their job and I focused on my job-love!  This lesson makes all the hospital trips as well as any procedures Madeline has had and will have easier.  I don't focus on what is going on around me, I just focus on giving my daughter the best medicine, a mother's love.  

However, with this lessoned learned it doesn't mean it is easier it just means it is doable. Madeline is my hero!  She exhibits so much courage, so much strength, and so much faith.  As I was getting her ready for her pre-op the other day and having told her that they may have to take blood out, in a quiet voice Madeline started to sing "I am a Child of God."  This girl has so much bravery and courage.  She is an example to me of how to handle trials and hardships that might come our way, with focus on the Savior and his love for us.  She knows what it means when they "take the blood out," but she didn't complain she just said Heavenly Father will help me brave and started singing a comforting song.   It was a tender mercy moment from my Heavenly Father.

So tonight I will take Madeline in my arms and explain what will happen tomorrow, we will then talk about how Heavenly Father will help us be brave, we will say a prayer, and her father will give her a Priesthood Blessing.  We will then pack her bags, and her special hospital kit filled with new treats and toys and fun things to do in the hospital.  In her kit she will find familiar things, as well as comforts from home.  And then when she is able to come home from the hospital she will find a welcome home surprise.  

How grateful I am for the gospel, for the tender mercies of the Lord, and for Heavenly Father answering a prayer of an aching mother's heart.  Through the gospel I can handle whatever may come my way, and through a mother's love all will be healed.





2 comments:

Lois said...

You are all such great examples of faith and love! Good luck to Madeline tomorrow - we will keep her in our prayers!

Lois said...

Good luck to you today. We're praying for Madeline and all of you.

Thanks for your posts and reminding all of us what is most important.

AUNT LOIS