
Last Wednesday, Madeline and I had a little encounter. I picked up Madeline from school and while I was talking to her teacher, Madeline was walking around me. I didn't see her right behind me when I went to go take her hand so we could leave. Well I bumped into her and she lost her balance and fell. I was more concered with her head because she hit her head on the concrete, but her head was fine, just a few scratches. I guess when she fell she landed on her wrist, and fractured the bone at the end of her wrist. She really didn't complain of any pain, but I noticed that she wasn't really using her arm. Well the silly mom that I am, I kept my plans that night and went to teacher improvement at church. I finished up with my responsiblilties there, gave what I think was a good lesson, enjoyed refreshments, and then dodged the thunderstorms coming home. When I got home, Grant wanted to take her to the urgent care center to have her arm x-rayed. So 9:30 at night, Madeline and Daddy head for the doctor. They get home around 11:00 with no brace or no splint and no instructions at all! I was shocked. They couldn't see that it wasn't swollen and it was somewhat uncomfortable. Now we have learned that Madeline has a high tolerance for pain. She can have an ear infection and not complain about it. Well the next day after Madeline went to school with her arm still bothering her and still swollen, the urgent care center called and said the Radiologist looked at the film and found the break. So back to the doctor for it to be put in a splint. Now I thought that were going to put her arm in a velcro removable kind of splint. No such luck. They wrapped it with ace bandages and put her arm in a sling. Now I always knew Madeline was remarkable, but she has proven to be even more remarkable. She wasn't bothered at all by her splint and at home she is still independent as ever. She has managed to do everything that she did with two arms but she does it now with one. At times we have forgotten that she even as a broken arm. She has never complained of pain or her arm itiching or bothering her. She prefers you to leave her bandaide alone, I think it is comforting for her. Today Madeline and daddy have a date to the bone doctor to have a real cast put on. She is excited that she can color on it and have her friends and teachers sign it.
So far I am 2 for 2 on injuring my kids. I remember injuring Anthony's leg while trying to go down a slide at the park and being to fat to fit. And now I bump into Madeline causing her to fall and break her arm....Spencer better watch out!
No comments:
Post a Comment